Map Skills Station Activity for Middle School

Geography teachers! If you've ever found it challenging to teach map skills in an engaging way, you're not alone. 

Last week we reviewed map skills in my 7th grade Geography class. Rather than lecture or share a PowerPoint, I had my students rotate through five stations, each focusing on a different skill or content. For example, station 1 focused on maps and globes. (What are they and the pros and cons of each.) Station 2 focused on continents, oceans, hemispheres, etc. Station 3 focused on the parts of a map such as a compass rose, scale, legend, etc.  Station 4 focused on different kinds of maps (physical, political, special purpose), and station 5 focused on map projections.


My students worked in groups of four or five. I selected the groups. (at the beginning of the school year I color-code my desks so grouping kids is quick and easy - all the kids sitting at a desk with a blue dot are in a group, all kids sitting at a desk with a red dot are in a group, and so on and so forth.)

I told my students that their groups couldn't move on to the next station until everyone in their group was finished recording their notes. I wanted my students to collaborate. 

I made six copies of materials for each station so kids could spread out. I used bulletin board space in hallways and in my classroom. I made station cards so kids could easily find each station. (I do a lot of station activities in my classroom so my students were already familiar with the spaces in our building I utilize for this type of activity.) 
Two stations were in my classroom and the other three were in different locations in my building. (Generally, kids behave pretty well in the halls without constant supervision. I think they like getting out of their seats and moving around. They also like working with their peers.

On Friday my students took an open-note quiz. (I let them use their notes from the station activity.) I told my students in advance about the open-note quiz. Most of my kids took really good notes and did quite well on the quiz! Success! 

Alternative Implementation Ideas

1. Timed Rotation: Students spend a fixed amount of time at each station before rotating.

2. Free-Flow: Allow students to choose which stations they would like to visit and in what order.

3. Small Groups: Divide the class into small groups and assign each group to start at a different station.

4. Homework Stations: Assign one station as homework to prepare students for the next lesson.

5. Virtual Stations: For remote learning, each station can be a breakout room with digital resources.

Interested in my Station Activity? You can find it here




Comments

Popular Posts