Making Social Studies Stick: Fun and Engaging Vocabulary Review Ideas

Looking for a fun and simple way to review vocabulary with your middle school students? These are great vocabulary review ideas I use with my students. By using different activities and techniques, you can keep students engaged and help them retain the vocabulary they have learned.
In the first activity, students are given vocabulary words and definitions and must find their match, which is a fun and interactive way to review vocabulary. It allows students to move around the room, talk to each other, and challenge themselves. I use my hexagonal bulletin board cards for vocabulary review. The large size of the cards makes it easy for students to see and read the words and definitions.
I try to make sure I have enough premade cards so every student gets 2 or three words or definitions. To save time, I hand out cards at the door as students enter my classroom. Once everyone is seated, I review the instructions. Students are instructed to show me their matches and once they have found matches to all of their cards, they may sit down. This activity generally takes less than 5 minutes.
Another vocabulary activity my students enjoy involves a beach ball! By tossing the ball back and forth, students can work together to review vocabulary words in a dynamic way. A simplified version I use when I have less time is to go through the alphabet and only use vocabulary words rather than words and definitions.
There are many different ways to review vocabulary in the classroom. By incorporating a variety of activities and techniques, you can help students retain and remember vocabulary words, while also making the review process fun and engaging.

Click here to learn more about my Civics Large Hexagonal Thinking Resource (use as a bulletin board display, hexagonal thinking activity, or vocabulary review activity. This resource contains over 200 civics-themed hexagonal cards.)



Comments

Nur Rofiqoh said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts