Hexagonal Thinking Bulletin Boards for Social Studies!

I've been a huge fan of hexagonal thinking activities for several years. This year I found a new way to incorporate the concept of hexagonal thinking into my classroom - BULLETIN BOARD DISPLAYS!

If you're unfamiliar with hexagonal thinking, it's essentially a visual tool for students to organize their thinking about a particular topic or concept. I use hexagonal thinking activities in both informal and formal ways in my classroom. I also incorporate old-fashioned manipulatives and digital versions in my classroom. (My students prefer the manipulatives over the digital version.)  Sometimes I have my students complete hexagonal thinking activities independently, sometimes in small groups, and sometimes as a large group.

A few examples of how I've used them in my classroom include:

Short bell-ringers and anticipatory activities. 

Review activities. 

End-of-the-unit assessments

No matter how I use hexagonal thinking activities, my students seem to love them. I love them because students are practicing many important skills while engaged in a hexagonal thinking activity. In addition, students are thinking deeply about the content. They are more likely to retain what they've learned from a lesson or unit after engaging in this type of exercise.)

Recently I tried something new. I designed large hexagonal cards (4 per page) to use as a bulletin board display. After laminating and cutting out my cards, I had an idea! Why not affix magnetic tape to the back of my large cards and place them on my whiteboard? This would create a beautiful and purposeful display AND tool! I could use my display to demonstrate to my new students how to create a hexagonal cluster. Even better, I could invite students to interact with the display creating their own hexagonal clusters!

Below is an example of one of the hexagonal clusters we designed this week. 





If you are interested in creating a similar display, click HERE to read more about my "5 Themes of Geography" Hexagonal Bulletin Board Display and click HERE to read more about my "Thinking Like a Historian" Hexagonal Bulletin Board Display.










Comments

Popular Posts