Why History Matters (How I teach the "why' and "how" of studying the past.)

I am about to enter my 22nd year of public education. I've taught in urban and rural settings, grades 6-12. One constant throughout my career in education has been U.S. History. United States History is the one class I have taught my entire teaching career.

Every year, before diving into the content, I spend a day or two focusing on the "how" and "why" we study the past. My methods have varied over the years. In my early years, I probably spent far too much time talking to my students and far too little time listening to my students with regard to this topic. In recent years, I've shifted my approach to be more student-centered. What I mean by that is I am very intentional in selecting materials and activities both appropriate and meaningful to my students. In addition, I strive to provide lots of opportunities for choice and student engagement! 

Several years ago I developed a stations activity that I like to call my "History Lab." Each station focused on the how and why we study the past. Students selected, analyzed, and illustrated quotes. They watched videos and listened to short podcasts. They learned about and researched artifacts. And, they completed primary source analysis and hexagonal thinking activities. 

Most History educators are familiar with primary source analysis activities. Hexagonal thinking activities on the other hand might be something new to some educators. If you are unfamiliar with hexagonal thinking activities, I encourage you to check out some of my past posts on the subject! (I've used hexagonal thinking activities with students in grades 6-12. Students in middle and high school LOVE hexagonal thinking activities.) 

Last year, due to COVID, I abandoned my traditional stations activity and developed a digital version including a digital version of my hexagonal thinking activity. I also developed a digital primary source analysis activity. My digital activities worked relatively well with my in-person and virtual learners! 

I set up my digital activity to look like a gameboard. As students progress along the gameboard, they learn, review, and practice historical thinking skills. Each square on the gameboard is linked with a different task!

My digital "Why History Matters" gameboard:


Of course, I revisit the "how" and "why" we study the past throughout the school year. In fact, I try to do this every single day. This year, I am going to focus more on SKILLS. I look forward to posting more examples of how I teach the "why" and "how" of studying the past (including examples of kids practicing these skills!)

I would love to hear from others! Do you explicitly teach the "why" and "how" in studying the past? What activities do you do? 






Interested in this lesson? Please check out my lesson HERE. Interested in Hexagonal Thinking Activities? Click HERE. Interested in my "Why History Matters Bulletin Board and Stations Activity? Click HERE.

















Comments

Popular Posts