First Week of School (Middle School Social Studies Edition)

Are you ready for the first week of school? I don't know about you but I've changed my mind about my lesson plans about a million times. I've spent hours meticulously planning my first week's agenda only to stumble across a new and "better" idea on Instagram resulting in frantic re-planning (ripping out notebook pages, re-writing plans, reorganizing schedules, etc.).

I think I've finally nailed down my first-week's agenda. This is my plan:

Our first day's schedule is a little wonky so I am not planning on diving into class expectations, handing out textbooks, etc. My middle schoolers are already going to be a little frazzled so I want to spend what little time we have together doing something chill and fun! So... I'm planning an ice-breaker activity I found on Instagram! (I know what you're thinking. Ugh! Ice-breakers are the worst!) I confess I loathe most ice-breakers. This one, however, looks pretty cool. For real. Check it out. Link here.

On day two, I'm planning a History-themed back-to-school stations activity. The activity incorporates a syllabus close-read, bulletin board scavenger hunt, classroom mapping activity, a classroom expectations meme activity and more! I think even the kids who don't like stations activities, won't mind this one (especially the meme station!)


On day two and three I'm planning a mini-lesson on primary and secondary sources and an activity I found on TpT from one of my favorite sellers, Peacefield History.  (Seriously, she is the best! Check out her store. It's packed with thoughtful, well-designed lessons geared toward middle school U.S. History.) The activity I'm using is a historical thinking activity presented in such a way that I think my middle school kids will totally enjoy it.

On day four and five, I'm planning another stations activity centered around the theme "Why History Matters".  I used this activity with my 6th graders last year and they really enjoyed it. I spent some time this summer improving it so I am hopeful it will go over even better this year!

Teachers! I'd love to hear from you! What exciting activities do you have planned for your first week back to school?

Comments

Popular Posts