Cornell Notes - How to teach this note-taking strategy to Middle Schoolers


Do you use Cornell notes with your middle school students or do you use another note-taking style? To be honest, I didn't use Cornell notes with my 6th grade U.S. History students for most of the school year because I didn't think they were ready. Instead, I used guided notes, doodle notes, and graphic organizers most of the year. About three-quarters of the way through the year, I decided it was time to incorporate Cornell notes into my classroom. Just like any new skill, it is important to use scaffolding, especially with middle schoolers.

How did I do it? Actually, it was pretty simple. I often use PowerPoints or Google slides in my classroom when presenting new material. All I did was incorporate step-by-step illustrations describing what Cornell notes are, what they look like, and how to do them into my PowerPoint. I added these slides to my next few PowerPoints as well. It didn't take my students long before they were proficient with this new note-taking strategy! In addition, I modeled the strategy on the whiteboard and shared examples of what my Cornell notes on a given topic would look like, In addition, I provided mini-reviews and periodic note-checks for the rest of the year. I also offered extra support to a handful of students who continued to struggle. (The most challenging part for some of my students was the "keywords, comments, and questions" section of the notes; for students who struggled with this component of the notes, the main issue was lack of confidence. They struggled with what was "appropriate" or "right;" I had to remind them that this section was going to look different for most students; not everyone will have the same questions about the material and not everyone will make the same connections, have the same insights, etc. 

Here are a few examples of the slides I incorporated into my Civil Rights PowerPoint:





 I would love to hear from others, especially middle school teachers. How do you teach note-taking skills? Do use Cornell notes with your middle school students? How do you teach this note-taking strategy?



Comments

Popular Posts