Rights and Responsibilities Lesson (Free Graphic Organizer incorporating EduProtocols)

This summer I ordered a copy of the  EduProtocol Field Guide Social Studies Edition (highly recommend)! I was eager to learn how to apply EduProtocol strategies into my Civics and Geography lessons, especially strategies focusing on building literacy skills. Two specific strategies stood out; Cyber Sandwich and 8 Parts. (If you aren't familiar with these strategies, I strongly encourage you to visit the EduProtocol website. You will find a wealth of information and lots of free templates.)

My middle school Civics students are currently studying citizenship; specifically the rights and responsibilities of citizens. I found a great lesson on iCivics (another great source of information and free resources) covering this topic. On day one, I had my students read and complete a graphic organizer covering the basics of citizenship, rights, and responsibilities. As students read, they completed a graphic organizer I created that merged two of my favorite EduProtocol strategies: 8 Parts, and Cyber Sandwich.

For this activity, I assigned partners. My students found quiet spots to work in the classroom and the hall and got to work. Most groups were able to complete the reading and most of the graphic organizer in one class period. The following day, groups finished up, and then we came together as a large group and went over the entire graphic organizer. 

I am very happy with how the lesson went. As I circulated among the groups to offer support if needed, I heard great conversations about the reading. I was impressed with the creativity of my students as well! Their symbols were fantastic!

I would love to hear from other Social Studies teachers! Do you use EduProtocols? Which ones are your favorites? Do you modify them and if so, how?

Grab your graphic organizer here!




Interested in more Civics Lessons? Check out my Civics TED Talk Bundle

What is included in this product?

-Instructions and tips

-8 TED Talk Lessons and Answer Keys

  • TED Talk Lesson: An Election Redesign to Restore Trust in US Democracy, Tiana Epps-Johnson
  • TED Talk Lesson: How to Separate Fact from Fiction Online, Markham Nolan
  • TED Talk Lesson: Playful, Wondrous Public Spaces Built for Community and Possibility, Matthew Mazzotta
  • TED Talk Lesson: Political Change with Pen and Paper, Omar Ahmad
  • TED Talk Lesson: There Is No Such Thing As Not Voting, Eric Liu
  • TED Talk Lesson: Using Your Voice is a Political Choice, Amanda Gorman
  • TED Talks Lesson: Why I Love a Country that Once Betrayed Me
  • TED Talk Lesson: Why Journalists Have an Obligation to Challenge Power, Jorge Ramos



Comments

Popular Posts