Distance Learning Activities that Work - HyperSlides

Like most educators, I learned a lot about distance learning this spring. I learned what worked and what didn't work. My biggest take-aways this spring were: keep things simple and give kids choice. New platforms and too many posts in Google Classroom were frustrating and confusing for most of my middle schoolers. I made that mistake once. I knew there was a problem with the lesson because completion rates went down (and more kids than normal reached out with questions). So, I did some reflection and some research;  lots of research. I discovered hyperslides. Well, I shouldn't say I "discovered" hyperslides. I've been using my own version of hyperslides for a while. I just didn't realize they were a "thing.' I didn't have a name for them. And, my hyperslides weren't nearly as organized and visually appealing as some of the beauties I found online. I realized I needed to up my game. 

For my next lesson, I combined two concepts- hyperslides and bitmoji classrooms (another trendy concept this spring) to create my most popular lesson of the year- "Washington Crossing the Delaware" (which was inspired by the #Getty MuseumChallenge trending on both Twitter and Instagram at the time. This assignment not only had the highest completion rate of all the lessons I assigned this Spring, but the creativity and thoughtfulness that went into the projects was quite IMPRESSIVE! 




As I plan for the fall, my focus will be on re-working some of my stations activities so they can be done online. The first project I tackled this summer was reworking my "Why History Matters" stations activity. I converted most of the stations into a simple"gameboard-style" hyperslide activity.  I plan to use my hyperslides resource with my students in our first week back to school. In the lesson, students will learn  "why history matters," how to both think and work like a historian, and much more. (I will write a more thorough blog post about this lesson soon!) 



If you are interested in checking out my "Why History Matters" hyperslides, click here. I also created an Intro to Geography hyperslide resource based on my Into to Geography stations activity I use with my students the first week of school every year. Click here to check it out.





Do you use hyperslides with your students? I'd love to hear how you use them in your classroom!

This was me teaching 2020-2021! 








Comments

This is awesome! There aren’t links, though, with the “click here” notes in the descriptions.
Anonymous said…
This is awesome. Have you converted your other U.S.History,World Geography,Ancient History Units to hyperslides. If so which ones. I teach ancient history and its geography mainly Eastern Hemisphere till the rennaisance. The first two you have converted i bought today and really liked
Do you know if the hyperslides can be used in Microsoft ppt and TEAMS? I LOVE everything I am seeing!!!

Popular Posts