March: Book One & Two (Critical Thinking Questions, Comprehension Questions, Task Cards and Activity)

As an Alt-Ed teacher I am constantly looking for new ways to entice my "reluctant readers" to read. One genre many of my students enjoy are graphic novels. I was first introduced to graphic novels as a college student. A history professor introduced me to Art Spiegelman's Maus. This book was one of the most powerful books I had read on the Holocaust. After reading Maus I remember thinking, "if I ever teach history, I am definitely including this book in my history curriculum." I kept that promise and have been using Maus ever since.

A couple years ago I introduced another graphic novel into my history curriculum; March: Book One. The book was so successful with my students, I've expanded my classroom collection to include books two and three as well.

This weekend I updated my original lessons for Books One and Two. I also added a new activity based on a tried-and-true activity I have been using as a final assessment with my history students the past ten years- a "Positive-Negative Timeline."


"If you're not hopeful and optimistic, then you just give up. You have to take the long hard look and just believe that if you're consistent, you will succeed." - John Lewis








Comments

Popular Posts