21st Century Skills- Lessons in News Literacy

I believe media literacy, and in particular news literacy has never been more important. Unfortunately, it's rarely included in the curriculum. Not because it isn't important, but because there isn't the time or the staff to teach it.

In the past, I  made a point of incorporating media literacy into my Social Psychology classes with regard to gender bias in the media. In recent years, I've included more "news literacy" into my Civics, Social Studies, and Life Skills courses. Lately, I've noticed a decline in students' ability to discern fact from opinion. I've also noticed a tendency among my students to relentlessly "share" stories on social media with little to no regard to "truth." Many kids don't know how to fact check. I also think many don't think about the ramifications of spreading false or embellished news. 

Over the holiday break, I've spent a great deal of time working on a couple lessons and activities relating to the topic of news literacy. I plan to implement these lessons soon. My students are often brutally honest when my lessons flop! Keeping my fingers crossed these lessons won't flop!

Read more about teens "vulnerability" to fake news here:
http://www.npr.org/2016/11/22/503052574/stanford-study-finds-most-students-vulnerable-to-fake-news




Find these lessons and activities here------->http://bit.ly/2hAVWqd

Comments

Popular Posts