Using Eve Bunting's "The Terrible Things" in a High School History Class

I've been using Eve Bunting's The Terrible Things" in my high school history classes for years. I have my students read a choral reading version of the powerful children's book (an allegory of the Holocaust) and participate in small and large group discussions following the reading. In my opinion, it's one of the more memorable lessons and activities of the school year. To help facilitate discussion, this year I created task cards to hand out to students working in small groups. Each task card has a question relating to the allegory. The task cards work much better than how I facilitated discussion in the past - usually by me shouting out questions to the class one at a time. The problem with that method was some groups were ready to move on and others weren't finished discussing the last question.

Teacher tip: I laminate my cards so I can reuse them year after year.

I am offering my task cards for free in my Tpt store if you would like a set for your classroom. Please follow my store while you're there. Followers receive updates on new products, discounts, and freebies!

Click here to find my FREE TASK CARDS!:


Comments

Popular Posts