One small way you can incorporate Women's History into the curriculum

Last week I read something that really hit home for me. It was a tweet on Twitter. Short and simple, yet profoundly powerful. It was about the absence of women in history texts. When women appear in most history textbooks, they often receive superficial coverage (a photo on a timeline with a brief "blurb" or a special page inserted within the chapter, which in the eyes of students denotes "unimportant" or "extra"). I decided I would "up my game" by making a concerted effort to do better. The first step--make women more visible. Over the weekend I created five women's history posters to hang on my classroom door. I'm working on task cards for each of the posters. My plan is to use the task cards with my U.S. History students as bell-ringers and extra credit opportunities for my "early-finishers."

My first "woman of the week" is my favorite woman in history - Ruth Bader Ginsburg. #notoriousrbg



Week #2



Week #3



Eventually, I'd like to create a year-long set of posters including women from all walks-of-life. Next weekend my goal is to create several posters focusing on influential women in Wisconsin's history!

Comments

Popular Posts