Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Martin Luther King Quote Analysis Activity (Task Cards)

My Civil Rights History class is winding down (less than two weeks left) and there is still so much to cover! Like most history teachers, I feel there is NEVER enough time to cover everything that needs to get covered.

We just finished watching Selma so I planned a couple activities dealing with the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and recent attempts to dismantle certain provisions of this law. I found a couple incredible infographics I use with my students to help illustrate the history behind the Voting Rights Act and where we are today with regard to voting rights. I developed a lesson plan around these infographics. In addition, I have a mock voter registration activity planned for later this week.

In addition, we are working on our "Civil Rights Road Trip" projects and I still need to allow time for my kids to work on their final project, a "Positive-Negative Timeline of Tolerance and Intolerance."

Still, I wanted to do something special for MLK Day next Monday. After thinking about a meaningful activity I could infuse into my prepared lesson, I decided to make some MLK quote analysis task Cards. Most of my students enjoy task cards. I put a lot of thought and time into developing cards with interesting and meaningful questions/tasks which most of my students seem to appreciate. In addition, many of the questions and tasks require kids to get out of their seats and talk to one another. Most kids like that as well.

I use task cards in many different ways. My favorite way to use them is to laminate the cards and give each student one sheet (which contains four different task cards). I let my kids choose two or three questions/tasks from each card to answer/complete. I often give my kids post-its to write their responses on or dry-erase markers so they can write their answers on the back of the task cards. (Even high school kids LOVE writing on colorful post-its and they LOVE using dry-erase markers!)



I created 28 different task cards. Check them out here:
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Martin-Luther-King-Quote-Analysis-Task-Cards-2955071

Download my Positive-Negative Timeline Project (for FREE!) here:
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Civil-Rights-Movement-Timeline-Project-2658259

I wrote a description of the project for Teaching Tolerance Magazine. Read my about the project here:
http://www.tolerance.org/exchange/timeline-change


No comments :