Majority Groups generally:
- have an attitude they are superior to minority groups
-believe minority groups are different or "alien"
- believe they have a claim to power, privilege, prestige
- have a fear and suspicion minority groups have designs on dominant group benefits
Minority Groups generally:
- are oppressed and persecuted at the hands of a dominant group, as a result are disadvantaged, dominant group is advantaged
- distinguished by physical or cultural traits; allowing them to be easily lumped together
- self-conscious based on their perception of common suffering and burdens
- membership is not voluntary
Examples: Racial groups, ethnic groups, nationality groups, religious groups, gender, etc.